4 reasons why your A/C may blow hot air this summer
This summer when you turn on your A/C, the last thing that you want blowing out of your A/C is hot air. Hot air blowing from your air conditioner is just about as bad as if the community pool was shut down for the summer. Although it’s not quite summer yet, those long hot days are just ahead of us. Instead of sweating it out in your home, check a few of these easy problems. Know how to avoid them, and when to call a professional.
1. Dirty Air Filter:
- Every spring and early summer, make sure that you change out your filter. If you have a maintenance plan with your local HVAC contractor, they will ensure that your air conditioning filter is properly cleaned and installed.
- A dirty filter can clog your air conditioner’s condensing coil with dust and contaminants causing your A/C to freeze up, hence your air conditioner will not be cooling your home properly.
2. Outside A/C unit not properly maintained:
- Go outside and take a look at your outside condenser. It is dirty or covered with debris? Again, having a maintenance plan will ensure that your air conditioner is cleaned properly. Making sure that the condensing coils are cleaned regularly is critical in proper cooling function of your A/C.
3. Check your thermostat:
- Kind of silly, but check your thermostat and ensure that it is set on cool. In Colorado we know that the weather can go up and down. One day we may need the A/C on, and the next the heater. If it is on heat, switch is to cool, and you are ready to go.
4. Low on Refrigerant or Freon:
- When an A/C is blowing out hot air, a refrigerant or Freon leak is most likely the culprit. If there isn’t enough Freon in the air conditioner, it is likely to freeze up. It is best to leave this up to your local HVAC contractor.
This summer ensure that your home is cool and comfortable. Having preventative maintenance done on your A/C unit will make a world of difference. Keeping an eye on these items will reduce your need for costly repairs. The last thing that you want is a costly repair to your air conditioner, right in the middle of the summer heat. Having preventative maintenance done on your air conditioner will also improve the longevity of your air conditioner.
Contact Southwest Heating and Cooling online, and schedule maintenance today.
Remember that if you sign up toady for a yearly preventative maintenance contract, you will get two services this year, one for your air conditioner and one for your furnace, all for only $229, that is a yearly savings of over $150. Fill out the form below and we will set you immediately with your first appointment.